Bills and Metering

We want to ensure you have access to all the information you need about your District Energy scheme. Here’s some useful information explaining more about our service, charges and what you can expect from us.

How do I pay?

The best way to pay is to set up an account with us.  You can do this by registering using the customer portal link here. The most popular method to pay is to set up a monthly direct debit.

How am I charged and how do you know how much heating and/or hot water I have used?

Your home is equipped with its own heat meter, just like any other utility meter. The meter is located inside your property and belongs to the landlord. East London Energy is responsible for operating and maintaining it. The meter is automatically read via our data network, so we don’t need to visit your property to read it. The only time we need to visit is to carry out periodic meter checks to ensure it continues to work correctly. If we need to access your property to check your meter, we will give you prior notice. You will be billed regularly for the heat supply.

When you move in and move out of the property, we will record the initial meter reading and final meter reading for your account. Please see your Residential Supply Agreement for further details about payments and billing.

How are my charges set?

Your heating and hot water usage is charged at a pence per kWh (kilowatt hour) rate. There is also a separate standing charge, just as you would expect on a normal electricity or gas bill.

These charges are linked to UK energy indices to ensure they remain competitive when compared with the alternative of heating your property using a conventional gas boiler.

How are my bills calculated?

Your bill in broken into two parts – a Standing Charge (or Fixed Charge) and a Variable Charge.

A Standing Charge is a daily charge which is charged per day over the billing period.  For example 30 days charged at xxp would be 30 x xxp = £xx.xx.  This charge covers the cost of operating and maintain the entire network.

If you are away and you switch off your heating and hot water system, you will still be charged the Standing Charge.

A Variable Rate is the cost which is directly linked to usage.  The energy is measured through the meter located in your property.  If you receive both heating and cooling, there will be separate meters for each.

Do I have to submit a reading from a Standard Meter?

Your meter is automatically read via a data network, so you don’t need to submit meter readings. However, you may contact our Customer Services department if you would like information on your meter readings.

You can adjust the temperature of your heating to suit your own requirements. If you need information on the temperature controls, please check your residential pack.

Why do I have two meters?

If we provide both heating and cooling, you will have two meters in your property.  One will be a HIU – a Heat Interface Unit and the other will be a CIU which is a Cooling Interface Unit.

I am going on holiday, will I still get charged?

Yes. However, if you switch off your heating and hot water system you will only pay the fixed standing charge part of your bill during this period. Please note that although your home is highly insulated, we would not recommend switching off your heating during the coldest winter months, to avoid the risk of frozen pipes.

What do I do if I am struggling to pay my bills?

We are aware these are challenging times for everyone, and we are committed to act fairly with our customers. If making payments into your account is becoming challenging, we are here to help – we can explain options (discussing your direct debits or repayment plans) to fit your circumstances.

My property is too hot / too cold, how can I adjust the temperature?

The temperature in your home can be adjusted using wall-mounted controllers and thermostatic radiator valves. The operating instructions for these are contained in your tenant pack.

What do I do if my heating does not work or I cannot get any hot water?

If you are having problems with your heating and hot water it could be due to a fault with:

  • the heating system inside your home;
  • the development heating system within your building; or
  • the District Heating scheme.

In the first instance you should call the East London Energy helpline on 0800 999 3080 .

Once we have been notified of a problem, we will try to identify and resolve any issues. If there is no fault with the scheme, but you still don’t have any heating or hot water, there may be a problem with the heating system inside your home. You, or your landlord, are responsible for maintaining the heating system in your home.

What if I notice an emergency or a problem with the district heating scheme?

We constantly monitor the scheme to ensure it is working properly and that heat is being delivered across all locations.

An emergency for these purposes may include circumstances where injury to life and/or serious damage to property are threatened, such as a flood or electrical failure or shock risk. If any of these circumstances apply, call us immediately on 0800 999 3080.